Friday, May 21, 2010

River Adventure

We had a great river adventure on Thursday morning. We rented a kayak and paddled up the Wailua River and then hiked for a mile to Secret Falls. Here's Dad dressed as a banana next to our banana kayak! He loved being on the water again!! By the way, I pulled that kayak almost all the way back to the drop off site! Yes, I am strong!! It rained almost the whole way up the river but we stayed pretty dry with our hats on. At one point we ducked into the overhanging brush next to the bank to get out of the heaviest rain.



I quickly realized that paddling a canoe is very different from a kayak. I've never been in a kayak. Dad was giving me advice on how to paddle more efficiently, but I just wasn't getting it. About halfway up the river I realized what I was doing wrong! It is so fun!




We had to cross a stream on the trail. (The water was past my knees in some parts.)



Secret Falls:

We were the second couple to get there because we started the river around 7:20 a.m. We sat and enjoyed the falls and ate lunch and went into the pool to wade. As we were getting ready to leave, a lot more people came and we were happy that we got up at 5 to do this!!
















3 comments:

  1. I want to know how much of this gorgeous voyage Gayle was paddling or pulling the kayak by herself...whose vacation is this anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only paddled by myself a bit so Marc could film it. As for pulling, I wanted to do it so as not to mess up Marc's elbow. And by the way, we realized after we got it back that the wheels were not in the right spot so it was actually heavier than it should have been!

    ReplyDelete